• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by uninsurred, unlicensed DUI driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2ofUs

What is the name of your state? CA

A few months ago i was minding my own buisness when a drunk driver ran a red light. We hit at full speed. The front end on my truck was basically gone and the engine was pushed back into the cab. Where i sustained injuries to both of my knees from impacting the lower dash. The other driver was so drunk that when her car caught fire, she just sat there in it. Got out and then back in. (guess she forgot her bottle) She was uninsured, unlicsened and half way to happy hour. My vehicle was totaled but my insurance covered it. But i did not have uninsured motorist. She was driving a 2002 Nissan Maxima registered to her.
I would like to know is there any way to find out if she was insured and how to start legal action.

Thank you,
2OfUs

HomeGuru

2ofUs said:
What is the name of your state? CA

A few months ago i was minding my own buisness when a drunk driver ran a red light. We hit at full speed. The front end on my truck was basically gone and the engine was pushed back into the cab. Where i sustained injuries to both of my knees from impacting the lower dash. The other driver was so drunk that when her car caught fire, she just sat there in it. Got out and then back in. (guess she forgot her bottle) She was uninsured, unlicsened and half way to happy hour. My vehicle was totaled but my insurance covered it. But i did not have uninsured motorist. She was driving a 2002 Nissan Maxima registered to her.
I would like to know is there any way to find out if she was insured and how to start legal action.

Thank you,
2OfUs
**A: hire a PI attorney to litigate.

2ofUs

Hit by uninsured, unlicensed DUI driver

Thankz HomeGuru for the advice, but given my current situation it would be like using an atm machine without a debt card. (J/k)

"Life is one big uninsured accident waiting to happen" - 2OfUs

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Hit by uninsured, unlicensed DUI driver

2ofUs said:
Thankz HomeGuru for the advice, but given my current situation it would be like using an atm machine without a debt card. (J/k)

"Life is one big uninsured accident waiting to happen" - 2OfUs

My response:

Why?

You may be able to consult with, and hire a Personal Injury attorney on a "contingency" basis. Start making your phone calls. If an attorney is willing to take your claim, the attorney's office staff will make the inquiries to the California Department of Motor Vehicles. You may, however, be required to leave a small deposit with the attorney for the "costs" incurred for these services. Yes, the DMV charges for information, like the information you need.

IAAL

lwpat

Uninsured/underinsured coverage is a necessity, not an option.
In our state one in four drivers do not have any insurance. Drivers licenses can be obtained for a nominal fee of 200 to 300 dollars and they are off and driving. Usually they are not used to urban traffic and many accidents in our area are the result.

As a result our auto insurance rates are sky high.

Obtain a copy of the accident report and see if she was charged for being uninsured or if a company is listed. The investigating officer can tell you where to request this information. You will need to do this even if you retain an attorney because the report is the first thing he will need.

J

jayman369

2ofUs,

How do you know she doesn't have insurance? Does the police report say so?

You can try to get an attorney to find out these information for you, but you said this happened "few months" ago, and attorneys don't like to sign up cases few months after the incident. I hate the dreadful "if the client was hurt, how come she wasn't treated immediately" question.

I don't mind sitting down to talk to you and explore options though. The law firm I'm with is in the San Gabriel Valley area.

-Jay

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jayman369 said:
2ofUs,

How do you know she doesn't have insurance? Does the police report say so?

You can try to get an attorney to find out these information for you, but you said this happened "few months" ago, and attorneys don't like to sign up cases few months after the incident. I hate the dreadful "if the client was hurt, how come she wasn't treated immediately" question.

I don't mind sitting down to talk to you and explore options though. The law firm I'm with is in the San Gabriel Valley area.

-Jay

My response:

Jay, we don't solicit clients from FreeAdvice, and we don't offer to have the writers contact us off of this site. Just a word to the wise - - because doing so is a surefire way for you, or anyone, to lose their membership to FreeAdvice.

Thanks for your cooperation.

IAAL

J

jayman369

Ok, I apologize. I just became a member today and do not know all the regulations to this board. Was just trying to help however I can.

Won't do it again.

By the way IAAL, you give great legal advices. Not a surprise after seeing what you do for a living.

:)

-Jay

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jayman369 said:
Ok, I apologize. I just became a member today and do not know all the regulations to this board. Was just trying to help however I can.

Won't do it again.

By the way IAAL, you give great legal advices. Not a surprise after seeing what you do for a living.

:)

-Jay

My response:

That's okay - - we live and learn.

Thank you for your kind compliment. What do you do for your San Gabriel lawfirm, and what are their areas of practice?

IAAL

J

jayman369

Hey IAAL,

I'm a medical coordinator in the firm. I review medical reports from doctors who are treating our client and contribute my part on putting together the demand letter.

The firm I'm with concentrates on two areas, Personal Injuries and Environmental Litigations/toxic torts. The office I'm with in San Gabriel Valley area is the satellite office of the main firm. I don't know if I can put business names on here, but think of the biggest Environmental Litigation in history. =)

-Jay

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jayman369 said:
The office I'm with in San Gabriel Valley area is the satellite office of the main firm. I don't know if I can put business names on here, but think of the biggest Environmental Litigation in history.

=================================

My response:

You work for the Law Offices of Erin Brockovitch? She has some pretty big "environmentals".

I know, I know . . . the Exxon Valdez.

IAAL

J

jayman369

Well, Erin is actually not a lawyer, but she sure is a big part of the firm. The firm is the Law Offices of Masry and Vititoe, Mr. Vititoe is the lawyer that concentrates on Product Liabilities and Personal Injuries. He is an expert on Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries; brilliant man. Mr. Masry and Erin on the other hand focus on Environmental/toxic cases like the one against PG&E. They're currently working on a case against the Beverly Hills High School District.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jayman369 said:
Well, Erin is actually not a lawyer, but she sure is a big part of the firm. The firm is the Law Offices of Masry and Vititoe, Mr. Vititoe is the lawyer that concentrates on Product Liabilities and Personal Injuries. He is an expert on Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries; brilliant man. Mr. Masry and Erin on the other hand focus on Environmental/toxic cases like the one against PG&E. They're currently working on a case against the Beverly Hills High School District.

My response:

I know Erin isn't an attorney. I said, "the Law Offices of Erin Brockovitch" as a joke - - and I thought it was obvious. Apparently not.

However, you said, "but think of the biggest Environmental Litigation in history."

And I was correct when I mentioned the Exxon Valdez. That was the largest environmental litigation known to mankind.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">