• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit While backing out of a school parking lot.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michael_JG

Georgia.

Hello, I'm writing because I was just in my first wreck involving my car and another student's car. I was backing out and was about half way out of my spot, when another car coming at about 20mph hits my rear bumper. Friends around me tell me that it was his fault because he was going 20mph when the student parking lot limit is 5mph. Campus police came and filed a report saying it was my fault becasue I didn't look when I was backing up. My rear bumper was hanging off the car, and the car that ran into me only suffered a broken headlight. Also the way we were angled after we were hit was way to obtuse even he was only going 5mph (which he wasn't). Any advice about who was at fault here would be nice. Thx

racer72

This exact same question has been answered numerous times the past few days. Drivers of vehicles backing up must yield or make sure the path is clear before proceeding. You did not do this. The campus police are correct.

Yuke

Well if he had enough time to reasonably stop before hitting you, then he would be at fault. If you pulled out and cut him off, you are at fault.

Michael_JG

only after the moment that he turned the corner going at about 20mph, by that time he didn't stop and I was already halfway out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">