• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hitting a truck, no insurance, no police report.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nhollowa

Tennessee

So today I was going in for an interview and I hit a parked truck, causing from what the truck owner says, a dent about the size of a notebook on his truck. He says he has insurance, but I never saw proof of that. He also says his insurance is through his dad, and it wouldn't cover the incident. I do not have insurance because I have spent months looking for a job, so he and my boyfriend both decided that it would be best if we did not file a police report. He got my drivers' license number and the license plate number, and said he could file a report at anytime. He is planning on me somehow pulling $1,100 out of the clear air in three weeks. What can I do? There don't seem to be any means of me attaining this money at all. This post may seem naive, but I am no legal pro, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

ecmst12

And now you learn that NOT having insurance is a lot more expensive then having it.

If you do not pay, he can sue you, and win. He can then attach your bank accounts, put leins on any property you own, and once you get a job, garnish your wages to collect.

racer72

Not to mention calling the nice police officers and telling them that you don't have insurance.
Which is turn will result in your driver's license being suspended. The only way to get it back will be by buying insurance with an $R-22 attachment. That $1100 is going to seem like pocket change.

nhollowa

If you had read that whole paragraph you would see that he did not file a police report. Secondly, I have been without insurance for quite some time. Even if I was able to attain a decent price like $100 a month, I would have paid more in insurance than I would on this incident.

davew128

If you had read that whole paragraph you would see that he did not file a police report.
Yet. Which doesn't mean you didn't commit a crime in driving without it.

Secondly, I have been without insurance for quite some time. Even if I was able to attain a decent price like $100 a month, I would have paid more in insurance than I would on this incident.
Which kind of misses the point of insurance.

Antigone*

If you had read that whole paragraph you would see that he did not file a police report. Secondly, I have been without insurance for quite some time. Even if I was able to attain a decent price like $100 a month, I would have paid more in insurance than I would on this incident.
Then pay the $1,100 and you're still ahead:rolleyes:

...until the next time:cool:

ecmst12

And he could still file a report, and you could still end up with a suspended license and a whopping lot of tickets.

JustAPal00

Beg, borrow, or steal. Do whatever it takes to come up with the $1100. If he reports you, it will cost you thousands plus the $1100! Do whatever it takes to pay him on time or work out a payment with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">