• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home owners insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DarthD

My mother lost a lot of shingles from her roof durring a storm. The adjuster said it will cost $1,100 to repair the damage. She has a $250 deductible. The adjuster told her the insurance will only pay $500 instead of $850 because the shingles depriciated. This can't be right! If this is true then at some point down the road, they would not pay anything for roof damage due to depriciation.
What if auto insurance did this? "I'm sorry sir, but the new fender you need is $500 and your car is 10 years old, and it has depriciated so we will only pay $300 to replace the fender."

I understand that if the house was destroyed, she would only recieve the current value of the house, but for a repair, they should pay whatever the cost is to completely fix the damage. Does she have any legal rights to force them to pay the full amoount minus the deductible?

ALawyer

Have her call the State Insurance Department and ask. It is rather straight forward, and depends on the rules in your state and the policy language.

It also may depend on the location of the shingles --in some cases it could be essentially a whole new area of the roof, and that they would not pay for fully.

Also, if your car was a 1979 clunker, and to replace the bumper and side panle cost $3,000 and the car was worth only $2000, they would NOT replace the bumper and side panel.

iggy367

Heed the warning

She's lucky it wasn't a much bigger bill. She and everybody else really should have "replacement cost coverage". You or she should contact the insurance agent and find out how to avoid this in the future for partial and full damage to the house. It is available, but she may have already saved the $1,100 depending on how long she has gone without the coverage, but now she's broken even with a lump sum instead of installments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">