• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowners Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keeshy2

We have damage to our townhouse in Virginia due to our neighbor's lack of maintenance on hers. Her siding came off above our roofline & created a "funnel" for rainwater to go into our attic & master bedroom. We hired a contractor to come out & figure out what was going on (we thought our flashing was loose). The neighbor has known of the problem since late June & has not had the problem fixed. Her statement was that she does not want to go through her insurance, will hire someone to fix the siding, but will not pay to have our bedroom repaired.

Our insurance company E*** doesn't seem to be able to help us. We filed in July for a water leak that destroyed our basement ceiling. E*** is telling us if we file another claim this year they will up our insurance rate, even though the damage is clearly caused by our neighbor's lack of maintenance. Can we file under our insurance & then have them sue our neighbor (or her insurance company, whose name she refuses to give us) for reimbursement? The person we hired in June said it would be $1600 to do all the repairs, but the damage has grown since then.

I'm so confused... I just want my house to stop leaking!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keeshy2:
We have damage to our townhouse in Virginia due to our neighbor's lack of maintenance on hers. Her siding came off above our roofline & created a "funnel" for rainwater to go into our attic & master bedroom. We hired a contractor to come out & figure out what was going on (we thought our flashing was loose). The neighbor has known of the problem since late June & has not had the problem fixed. Her statement was that she does not want to go through her insurance, will hire someone to fix the siding, but will not pay to have our bedroom repaired.

Our insurance company E*** doesn't seem to be able to help us. We filed in July for a water leak that destroyed our basement ceiling. E*** is telling us if we file another claim this year they will up our insurance rate, even though the damage is clearly caused by our neighbor's lack of maintenance. Can we file under our insurance & then have them sue our neighbor (or her insurance company, whose name she refuses to give us) for reimbursement? The person we hired in June said it would be $1600 to do all the repairs, but the damage has grown since then.

I'm so confused... I just want my house to stop leaking!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your post was responded to on another BB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">