• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

horse and auto accident. Who is liable for What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

letulle2

A woman recently ran into my horse, killing the horse and tearing the van up. She know wants me to pay for the repairs on the van. I rent a stall where my horse was staying from another individual so property upkeep is not my responsibility. Also I never identified the horse as mine to the police(by the time I arrived someone hauled the horse off and we don't know who). I thought that if a driver hits an animal or person that he/she is at fault, am I wrong? I live in the state of Texas,in Jefferson county, if this helps. thanks for your time
Robert

L

LawScott

Now they know it was your horse.

In Illinois the owner would be responsible for keeping his domestic animals under control. But you will need to check Texas law on this question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">