• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital may have killed father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RLF

My father lived in Gulfport, MS & was in 2 hospitals for over 2 months there. He had developed pnuemonia & was having a difficult time getting better. When he was in one hospital in July '00 my mother had to make a decision to put him on life support if he stopped breathing. At that time she decided not to put him on life support. He got better after about 2 weeks & was released. But then he came down with it again a few days later. My mom took him to a different hospital where he stayed for several weeks & then was released & started physical therapy & again ended up back in the hospital. This time the hospital diagnosed him with lung cancer ( he was a heavy smoker) & gave him 2-3 months to live this was around OCT. 9th. On Oct.11th they began to give him morphine to help his breathing, though my mother asked them to put him back on the breathing machine he had been on before. She was told that the morphine would help his breathing & she was also told that terminately ill patients were NOT PUT ON LIFE Support! The nurses that had been attending him called in another nurse who was giving him morphine every 30 minutes until he died around 11:45 pm.
Also they claimed that he had a bad heart & could not be treated with chemo, etc. My mother had taken him to the doctor several times & numerous x rays had been taken, but none had showed signs of cancer.
Is the hospitals & doctors & staff responsible for his death? What should my mother do to prove negilgence? And when did Mississippi adopt the no life support for the terminally ill patients? I thought all hospitals were to do whatever they could to save lives?
Any advice would be helpful & appreciated.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, there are a lot of complex issues here and a few possible entities to sue. Your mom needs to go immediately to a medical malpractice attorney in her state/where this happened and go from there.

The attorney will help her sort through this mess to see if there is viable proof of medical malpractice or negligence.

Try attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">