• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

houseboat accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aufan89

What is the name of your state? Illinois, but the accident happened in Missouri

Some friends and I rented a houseboat this past weekend for 3 nights. On the 3rd night, I splipped on the steps coming down from the upper deck to the lower deck. As I hit the deck, the inside of my upper arm got caught on the gate latch that was right beside the ladder rail. Luckily, there was a pontoon boat nearby that took me to the shore so my husband could take me to the emergency room. The laceration was 4 inches long, and down to the muscle, and required 19 stitches on the outside, as well as stitches on the inside. I filled out an accident report that the houseboat rental place files to their insurance, and I noted on the form that the ladder should have a non-skid surface applied, as well as the gate latch should be moved.
But now I'm wondering if I have any legal course. I don't really want to sue, but feel they owe me something - we lost an entire evening that we paid for, as well as medical bills, pain, and possibly scarring. At the very least, I'd like to make sure that the gate latch is moved. I was lucky that nothing more serious happened to my arm. The next person might not be so lucky.
Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">