• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I appeal my fault status in an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrekeddmc

South carolina
I spun out of control on I 26 in South Carolina after hard braking, and hit several trees off the side of the interstate. I was charged with driving too fast for conditions and an accident report indicates a single car collision with me contributing to the colliosn. I later realized that the left rear hub carrier that holds the wheel steady, had broken, and it appears that it broke on a preexisting crack line after I braked and caused me to spin around. The police officer indicates that the accident report that shows I contributed to the collision is immutable. With evidence of mechanical failure is there anyway to appeal the collision report, as this is what will raise my insurance rates. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated
Thanks
wreckeddmc

ecmst12

Mechanical failure does not mitigate your fault. This was a one-car accident, as far as I'm aware it will ALWAYS be considered the driver's fault. You can contest the citation in court, and the mechanical failure might help prove your case there, but that won't change the fault for the accident. An accident cannot be the fault of an inanimate object, whether a tree or a parked car or a broken tie rod or a blown tire. If the mechanical failure had caused you to hit another vehicle instead of a tree, that would have been your fault too, if only because it could NOT have been the other driver's fault. Make sense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">