• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can they legally refuse benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mustang

as my previous posts mentioned i was in an auto accident in 98. i am 5 months post op from fusion surgery. i submitted expenses for housekeeping and homemantainence and caregiveing as these are the titles of benefits for a homemaker here in canada. they cut off benefits in oct 98 saying that my condition was pre-existing d.d.d. my ins. co sent me to see a defence doc in feb 2000 just before my surgery. his report was a joke. anyway...my surgeon did his legal report jan.18,2000 and said in no uncertain terms that my condition is 100% from the accident.[yes finally someone to substanciate what i have been saying] with this, i did submit all my expenses from the time they cut me off until may 2000. i just received a letter from the ins. co that they refused my benefits as the medical documentation does not support these expences? can they be serious? i had such respect for doctors and i thought the ins. co had to abide by laws....this is not a case of fraud so why the shotty treatment? i am at such a loss as to what to do..i thought all i had to provide is causation to get my benefits...??? i feel like i am in a corner with nowhere to turn. can they legally do this? and what recourse do i have? as it is, my surgeon imposed restrictions that i am left unable to do ANY house work. i was going to hire an occupational therapist to come into my home to show me how to do things as i have lost mobility due to the surgery, and when i told her my restrictions, they said they could not help me at this time as i can not do anything. so what is with this ins. co doing this to me? i do not feel like a human being anymore......help!

P

prairielaw3

I cannot speak for Canadian law, but generally ( especially if they a doc's report in thier hip pocket from their IME doc, insurance co's can do most anything. They can say they a right to believe their doc over your doc. I hope you have an attorney--if not, get one asap; you cannot assume an insurance co will act in your interests. Delay can olny jeopardize your rights. If you have a good and experienced attorney, let him/her handle it and hope a jury sees through the fiction.
Good luck!

------------------
George H. Senteney
http://www.prairielaw.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">