• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Can They Total My Perfectly Good Car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Circe

I am in OHIO. My husband recently had an accident in my older car, in which the other driver was cited. This car, while 14 years old, was in good condition, well-maintained, no rust, and less than 100,000 miles. My husband, who works about 5 miles from our home, uses the car daily for transportation to work as there are no bus lines.

The book value on this car is not much. The insurance company of the cited driver wants only to total our car, not repair it. How can they do that when the car was fine to drive before the accident? We can STILL drive it, it just is dented up.

HELP!

From what you explained, because of the age of your car it's value is less than the damages. In most states when the damage to a vehicle meets or exceeds 80% of the value the vehicle is a total loss. By statute, the insurance carrier must process the claim as a total loss. If the damage does not make the car un-safe to repair and drive you should have the option to keep the vehicle and request a "re-built title".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">