• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to defend against a false hit and run accusation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chowdmouse

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with something I've never even considered before. Earlier today I noticed a woman in the parking lot of a coffee house I was at and she writing something. I was in the middle of some work and so I didn't stop to think much of it.

After she had driven away the proprietor of the shop next door stopped by my table and asked if I had seen her. She then told me that a while back she (the proprietor) was accused of a false hit and run because someone had taken down her license plate number and reported her. She learned that some people make money this way because the insurance companies don't want to litigate due to the cost. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this before? How does one guard against *that*?

Thanks for any information.

Ed

P.S. The shop owner also had the mind to take down the ladies' car description and license plate number.

[This message has been edited by chowdmouse (edited October 13, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">