• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I change my statement made in a deposition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maitet

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California
I had a deposition on 9/11/03 for a car accident that happened 1 year and 9 months ago. I was very-very nervous at the time the deposition was taken. I was never good at dealing with stress. English is not my primary language but I understand and can speak it. I had anxiety attack and have been suffering from it even months prior. I thought I undertstood the questions but am not sure if I understood it right. I blacked out most of the time and found it difficult to find the right words to truly express my thoughts. I believe I gave wrong answers to some questions that were very important. A transcript will be sent to me for my signature, should I sign it? I do not have confidence w/ my lawyer, he only briefed me the morning of the deposition. I did not cause the accident. I will accept resposibilities if it was. but it WAS NOT. I know my credibility will be questioned if changed my answers. Is there another way I can correct this without losing my credibility?

C

coosi

So you're saying you went in for an sworn deposition, and haven't yet signed the written copy?

If you thought you were answering a different question, I'm sure there's a way to correct that. Did you need an interpreter? Are you saying you blacked out during the depostion? What makes you think, without seeing the transcript, that you "gave wrong answers to very important questions"?

If, on the other hand, you decided you should have answered differently for some other reason (liability, etc) that will probably be obvious and I'm sure there are legal consequences (perjury comes to mind).

If you are unhappy with your lawyer, make some calls, ASAP.

M

Maitet

Yes, sworn statement was taken in the deposition but I still have not received the written copy. I felt I did not need an interpreter because I can usually converse in English but at the time of my deposition, I was very nervous, that I was unable to really use the right words to express my thoughts. There were questions I knew the answers to but I answered "I do not remember." These were details of the accidents. How can I undo my statement without perjuring myself? Arbitration is schedule on Thursday and I am already having anxiety attack. I have not sleeped all night.
And thanks for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">