• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I get compensated for loss caused by negligence on the part of a u-haul renta

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

down in atl

What is the name of your state? WI
How do I get compensated for loss caused by negligence on the part of a u-haul rental associate.
I rented a U-haul trailer from a U-haul store. I noticed the man was having trouble getting the request to go through on the computer. The U-haul associate put the trailer onto my vehicle(91 GMC jimmy s15). 100 miles down the road the bolts on my drive wheel sheered off, causing my truck to skid sideways into a concrete barrior. my truck was a total loss, as well as most of my belongings. Since, I have looked at their website. The site will not let me reserve that size trailer to be put onto a 91 GMC jimmy s15. When I finaly had time to search through my dischevled belongings I found the recipt. To get the computer to accept the request, the U-haul associate put "91 GMC jimmy (Fullsize)".What is the name of your state?

racer72

Try to prove the trailer caused the problem. Besides, your rental agreement says you cannot hold U-haul responsible for any damage to you vehicle, read the agreement. Your vehicle had obvious problems before you rented the trailer to have the lug bolts shear. I have an 88 Chevy S-10 pickup, it has the exact same rear end assembly as your Jimmy S-15. I regularly pull a full size car trailer behind it with a variety of vehicles on it up to an older Lincoln Continental. I have never had a problem. File a claim with your insurance, you will not get anything out of U-haul.

down in atl

Thankyou for your responce

I've read the contract and you are correct. My only real isue now is with the insurance co. handeling the claim on my belongings.

thanks again.

moburkes

down in atl said:
I've read the contract and you are correct. My only real isue now is with the insurance co. handeling the claim on my belongings.

thanks again.
You're having difficulties because your belongings are covered by your homeowners policy, not your auto policy. However, some auto policies will cover a small amount of coverage, but that's usually for CDs, etc. Therefore you will have 2 claims: auto, for the damage to your vehicle (if you have collision), and homeowners for the damage to your belongings. Therefore, you will have 2 deductibles to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">