• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I request a new trial in accident case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HerCleverName

What is the name of your state?California
I was the passenger in a vehicle broadsided by an 18 wheel semi truck. I was airlifted to the trauma center with severe injuries necessitating a stay in the intensive care unit for five days. Those injuries included nine broken ribs, one puncturing through my liver, a laceration to my head which required several staples, etc..
The vehicle in which I was riding was insured for $100,000.00 and the trucking company for $1,000,000.00. This should have been an open and shut case, for at least policy limits for my driver. I was the innocent passenger.
After attempting to accept settlement without my knowledge or consent, my lawyer was removed as my counsel by the court. I found an attorney to represent me on the eve of trial, and he was not granted a continuace, "...even upon showing of good cause."
In lieu of filing a "Non-suit" the oppositions insurance lawyers offered $28,000, half the amount of my medical bills! Without even a muinute to consider the new attorney said to accept it as a 'partial settlement." There was a hearing set for about three weeks later, for a confirmation of settlement, (where I would have opposed it) but no one appeared...it was taken off calendar (vacated) and no judgment was ever entered.
I called the clerk of the court today who told me my case was still active.
How can I ask for a new trial or a re-evaluation or something?..I have never seen a penny of the $28,000 either.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">