• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do we know if its a Scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California
My mother (66) was in a automobile accident 9 months ago. She was in a Honda and hit a man in a large truck. The man said he was fine and they all walked away.My folks insurance payed for his vehicle damage. Now after all this time he had an attorney call my parents insurance company and ask what their liabilitymaximum amount is because now he needs surgery. My mom is devastatedsaid she suspected this may happen and thinks he's looking for a pay off.
How can they be sure this is all legitimate and not a guy just trying to get money.

Thanks, Debbie:(

ecmst12

Injuries often take several days after an accident to manifest. Turn the claim over to your insurance company. They will review the medical records and offer a settlement. If the claim is not legitimate, they won't get anything.

VeronicaLodge

What is the name of your state? California
My mother (66) was in a automobile accident 9 months ago. She was in a Honda and hit a man in a large truck. The man said he was fine and they all walked away.My folks insurance payed for his vehicle damage. Now after all this time he had an attorney call my parents insurance company and ask what their liabilitymaximum amount is because now he needs surgery. My mom is devastatedsaid she suspected this may happen and thinks he's looking for a pay off.
How can they be sure this is all legitimate and not a guy just trying to get money.

Thanks, Debbie:(
let your insurance provider deal with it

9 months is a long time

If this was a scam, don't you think the guy would have scammed you from the start? This is exactly why you have insurance. I am sorry to hear this is upsetting to your mother, however, this guy is not launching a personal attack against your mother. He probably is suffering some injury. This is going to have a very small if any effect on your rates. Its the insurance companies problem.

ecmst12

One more thing...

Tell your mother NOT to disclose her insurance policy limits or any other information to the other party (or his attorney) OTHER then her insurance company's address, adjuster's name/phone number, and claim number. Tell them to direct all correspondence to the insurance company. And tell her not to worry or be upset. The injury claim is NOT going to affect her rates any further; the claim was already on file so any damage to her rates has already been done.

Thank you for all the input. I think my moms bigggest concern is that this guy may try to exhaust the insurance money and then go after her personally for more. (I told her she has been watching too much TV) She always assumes the worst.
I passed on all the info given here and told her if she had further doubts to get an attorney.

Sincerely, Debbie :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">