• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you find out auto liability limitations on the responsible parties policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pnut

I was involved in a MVA approx. 15 months ago. To make a long story short, I have medical bills around $15,000, with more anticipated. The kid was clearly at fault, and he is not denying it, so that is not an issue. What I am fearing is if my medical bills are piling up, whether or not he has enough insurance to cover my medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, impairment rating etc. I live in Idaho, and I know the minimum is 25/50. He did have a brand new car, with full coverage, but who knows if he just got the bare minimum insurance to be legal. Is it my right as a victim of an accident to know how much insurance coverage he actually has. If it is my right, can I just call his insurance company and ask? Where and how can I find out how much coverage he has. I do have his policy #,
so where should I go from here. I am really scared about what to do. I have retained an attorney, and he says insurance companies are reluctant to give out that information, but he'd try to find out. This just doesn't seem right! Is he correct, or can I find out some other way? Than you very much!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pnut said:
I was involved in a MVA approx. 15 months ago. To make a long story short, I have medical bills around $15,000, with more anticipated. The kid was clearly at fault, and he is not denying it, so that is not an issue. What I am fearing is if my medical bills are piling up, whether or not he has enough insurance to cover my medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, impairment rating etc. I live in Idaho, and I know the minimum is 25/50. He did have a brand new car, with full coverage, but who knows if he just got the bare minimum insurance to be legal. Is it my right as a victim of an accident to know how much insurance coverage he actually has. If it is my right, can I just call his insurance company and ask? Where and how can I find out how much coverage he has. I do have his policy #,
so where should I go from here. I am really scared about what to do. I have retained an attorney, and he says insurance companies are reluctant to give out that information, but he'd try to find out. This just doesn't seem right! Is he correct, or can I find out some other way? Than you very much!

My response:

We'd like to assist you; however, you apparently didn't see that red writing up at the top of the page. Without your State name, or the name of the State where the problem happened, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to you editing your post.

IAAL

D

ductman

I think he did mention the state but I would also like to know about this subject , in the state of SC to. :)

P

pnut

I thought I did mention that this happened in Idaho, Thanks!

Can you still answer my question reguarding finding out at least if the guy that hit me has enough insurance?

S

snowhite52

I too, am interested in same reply

State: California

I'm very much interested in you reply to pnut, my situation is very simular. MVA, 2/2/01 In my case we are both insured by the same insurance (CSAA) but the accident was his fault. I don't know if we live in a no-fault state, how much coverage he has, if my policy picks up where his left off, how to get his policy to cover rental car exspense over the daily amount? Please advise if you can.
TIA :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, it was important to know that the accident occurred in Idaho. All you mentioned was that you lived there. There is a distinction. You would agree that people who live in one State, often do get into accidents in other States, wouldn't you?

Insofar as the law of Idaho and South Carolina are concerned, on this subject, I could locate no laws about whether or not you are entitled to ask for this information.

In California, it's a bit different than most States. That is, California considers insurance policy information to be private and, until such time as a lawsuit is filed, a claimant is not entitled to such information. Only when a lawsuit is filed, and such policy information is divulged in the "Discovery" phase of such lawsuit, no one is obligated to tell a claimant this information.

I can only presume that if you are unable to obtain this information prior to a lawsuit being filed, that there must be some sort of insurance regulation on the subject.

So, for my Idaho and South Carolina writers, you may choose to call your respective States' Department of Insurance or Insurance Commission, or even your own insurance companies, and ask the question.

Good luck to all of you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">