• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does this process work? Car insurance claim gone bad.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HilarityEnsues

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

On Wednesday March 18th I was pulling into an alleyway near my work and clipped the building due to lack of sleep. I called the police and they gave me a sobriety test, then the fire department came out and checked the building. The owner of the building was informed and didn't seem too concerned. There was no damage to the building, however my car required 3k worth of repairs. I dropped it off at a local body shop which has a contract with my insurance.

Last Monday they called and gave me the estimate, I approved repairs and then called them back to make sure they were aware that the horn and a sensor that tells me if my windshield washer fluid runs low were damaged in the accident. The woman who answered the phone assured me that everything would be repaired.

This past Friday they called me and told me the car was ready. I went and checked out the car, everything looked to be in good working order so I payed my deductible and the service writer brought my car around. He parked the vehicle inside, handed me the keys and looked at me like he saw a ghost.

I hopped in my car, the sensor was still displaying low washer fluid on my dashboard and as I drove out I pressed the horn a few times and it didn't work.

I drove the car around the building, parked it where it was when I originally checked it out and stormed back into the body shop. The woman at the counter saw me coming and grabbed the phone and turned her back to me. This is the same woman who assured me everything would be fixed. The other adjuster came in and asked me if everything was ok. I was shaking I was so pissed and I told him the two items I informed them about were not replaced. I then dropped the keys on the counter and told them to "Fix it", then I stormed out.

On the ride back home I called my insurance they informed me a claims administrator would call me first thing Monday (Tomorrow). I had to miss work this past weekend and due to that I had my hours cut at work, I only received 11 hours for this week. I borrowed my grandfathers truck to get back and forth to work however one of the tires is almost bald I couldn't keep taking it back and forth, it's 50 miles round trip.

I was wondering what a claims administrator does, and if I can request to my wages payed to me by this dealership for all the hours I am being forced to miss this week.

Last edited:

HilarityEnsues

I forgot to add that after I got home Friday the same woman called me back and told me the horn worked. She checked the wrong vehicle. I have a metallic silver Buick Lacrosse CX. They checked a Burgundy Buick Lucerne. I hung up on her. I also plan on talking to the owner of the Dealership tomorrow as well.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sometimes minor issues get overlooked. As long as they get fixed I there's not much you can do.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I had to miss work this past weekend and due to that I had my hours cut at work...
You're not making it clear that you missed work hours because you had to pick up your vehicle. It's usually not too difficult to pickup your vehicle during time that you're off from work anyway.

HilarityEnsues

I missed work due to not having a vehicle. I hope the owner has a sound proof office because when I speak to him tomorrow I've got a lot of things to point out. This is my second time at this body shop. A couple years back someone backed into my car and drove off so I took here as per insurance. They didn't fully fill a nick in the plastic bumper in but they gave me a loaner and fixed it when I brought it back.

I sent friends here for inspections and had a friend get failed for a motor mount that doesn't exist, another got passed with all but one bolt holding in the motor mount, no working AC or Heat and a large crack in the windshield.

If he thinks he's getting out of this I'll make the biggest damn scene I possibly can.

The only reason I brought the vehicle here again is because insurance will warranty the claim.

HilarityEnsues

Lol. Less than 2 hours after the body shop opened today I get a call saying the car is ready. They better hope they didn't rush and mis-align the body panels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">