• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to find attny to advise pro per on hourly or service basis??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oracle117

What is the name of your state? ca

i am pro per in a personal injury case. i am toward the end of discovery...do not want to go to a trial, plus i am not qualified. i have been doing the best i can so far. at this point i really need help. i don't want to get into a contingency contract. i want to be able to help as much as i can to keep costs down and then pay someone by the service or hour type of thing. i am not an attorney, but i can figure somethings out and do certain things myself...i also want to have a say in what happens versus be left in the dark without giving any input or being in on decisions.
i read the nolos books and they are good, but not specific enough most of the time. they talk about being pro per and then hiring a "legal coach" to help you on the hard things or help/advise when you get stuck.
my question is...where are these so called "legal coaches" willing to come into a case midway...let me help...no contingency...etc??? i have called and emailed many attorneys and all they want to consider is to take over the case on contingency...and they do not want to come into a case this far along?

any ideas where to go to look? who to call? etc. i live in san diego area.

THANKS!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

oracle117 said:
What is the name of your state? ca

i am pro per in a personal injury case. i am toward the end of discovery...do not want to go to a trial, plus i am not qualified. i have been doing the best i can so far. at this point i really need help. i don't want to get into a contingency contract. i want to be able to help as much as i can to keep costs down and then pay someone by the service or hour type of thing. i am not an attorney, but i can figure somethings out and do certain things myself...i also want to have a say in what happens versus be left in the dark without giving any input or being in on decisions.
i read the nolos books and they are good, but not specific enough most of the time. they talk about being pro per and then hiring a "legal coach" to help you on the hard things or help/advise when you get stuck.
my question is...where are these so called "legal coaches" willing to come into a case midway...let me help...no contingency...etc??? i have called and emailed many attorneys and all they want to consider is to take over the case on contingency...and they do not want to come into a case this far along?

any ideas where to go to look? who to call? etc. i live in san diego area.

THANKS!!

My response:

And those are two of the reasons that Nolo books, like the one you've read, are not really very good - - e.g., not specific, and suggesting a "coach".

As for the "coach" idea, attorneys need complete control over a file, including strategy decisions. To have you remain as a Pro Per, and not as a "client", is professional suicide. When things go wrong, guess who's going to be pointing fingers at the "coach"?

There's a lot to be said for the old adage, "Too many chefs in the kitchen."

I wouldn't take any part of your case unless I had full, complete, and unfettered control over it. Remember, it would be MY license to practice on the line.

IAAL

oracle117

thanks iaal

thanks for your thoughts iaal...
i guess nolos gives "clients" the so called "little bit of knowledge
that is dangerous"......

it is too bad that attorneys are not more affordable so people like myself wouldn't try the nolos route to get by...

one cure for the nolos pro per...an encounter with a court clerk!!!!
forget the judge...the defense...they are not half as intimidating as the clerks!!!! yikes!! ha!ha!

i guess it is back to the drawing board.....i hope i never ever see another court in my life after this is over! it is mind boggling!!!

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">