• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find out the faulty driver's insurance coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickeymouse2005

What is the name of your state? KY

I had a car accident (rear ended) and it was the other driver's fault. I would like to now how much the other driver's auto insurance coverage, is there any way I can get it? Who should I contact, the other driver's insurance company? What if they deny to give the info? Any info would be much appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? KY

I had a car accident (rear ended) and it was the other driver's fault. I would like to now how much the other driver's auto insurance coverage, is there any way I can get it? Who should I contact, the other driver's insurance company? What if they deny to give the info? Any info would be much appreciated.
Sue the other driver for your actual damages.

ecmst12

You can certainly ASK his insurance company what the coverage limits are, but they probably won't tell you, and they are not required to release this information unless/until a lawsuit has been initiated. It's really none of your business. If you are trying to get a settlement, your case is worth what it is worth regardless of the coverage limits.

I am speaking of course about bodily injury limits. If you are asking about property damage limits, they probably will release that information since property damage claims are actual damages only and not subjective or open to negotiations.

mickeymouse2005

The reason I am asking is that if the faulty driver has only limited coverage while my medical expenses are not so small, there is not so much an attorney can do. But if the faulty driver has a decent coverage, then it may be worthwhile to find a good attorney to max out the settlement.

By the way, what's the common ratio between the settlement amount and the medical expenses?

Thanks a lot for your info!

You can certainly ASK his insurance company what the coverage limits are, but they probably won't tell you, and they are not required to release this information unless/until a lawsuit has been initiated. It's really none of your business. If you are trying to get a settlement, your case is worth what it is worth regardless of the coverage limits.

I am speaking of course about bodily injury limits. If you are asking about property damage limits, they probably will release that information since property damage claims are actual damages only and not subjective or open to negotiations.

ecmst12

There is no common ratio. Ask for what you think is fair, start high and negotiate.

KY minimum BI coverage is 25k, so if your bills are "not huge", you're probably not even going to get that much, so don't worry about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">