• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to go about this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hoosier101

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am uninsured and was in an accident. It was my fault. I want to make sure that I pay for the damages, but have never been in an accident before and am unsure of how to go about it.

Do I contact the other drivers insurance co. and make an arrangement to pay, or should I be a little more guarded when contacting them? The other driver said she wasn't hurt and that was my main concern, that she's okay.

I hope I made that coherent..I tend to ramble!

Any advice?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hoosier101 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am uninsured and was in an accident. It was my fault. I want to make sure that I pay for the damages, but have never been in an accident before and am unsure of how to go about it.

Do I contact the other drivers insurance co. and make an arrangement to pay, or should I be a little more guarded when contacting them? The other driver said she wasn't hurt and that was my main concern, that she's okay.

I hope I made that coherent..I tend to ramble!

Any advice?

My response:

What was the date of the accident?

How did you conclude that it was your fault?

IAAL

H

hoosier101

It was the 15th of August.
I was turning out of a drive onto a four lane street. She was in the far right northbound lane. I pulled out to get in the left hand lane and as I did she changed lanes and I hit the side of her car.
I should have waited until she was completely passed to pull out in the first place, so it was my fault.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hoosier101 said:
It was the 15th of August.
I was turning out of a drive onto a four lane street. She was in the far right northbound lane. I pulled out to get in the left hand lane and as I did she changed lanes and I hit the side of her car.
I should have waited until she was completely passed to pull out in the first place, so it was my fault.

My response:

Okay, so it's already been a couple of weeks since the accident. Then, from your statement regarding her lack of injuries, I'll take it to understand then that you haven't spoken to her since on or about that date.

First, in "low impact" accidents, some of the first words out of someone's mouth is usually, "Oh, I'm okay - - I'm not injured." And, indeed, during the post accident write-up while on the street, the parties do, in fact, show no signs of injury. That's typical.

However, what's also "typical" is that a person's body goes into a "shock-like" state, and feels no pain. It's not until a few days later, after the body relaxes, that the pain begins. I'm sure you felt a little achy yourself.

So, don't be surprised that her insurance company pays for not only her vehicle damage, but also her medical bills for therapy, and a sum of money for her "pain and suffering".

Then, her insurance company is going to contact you after about 2 or 3 months with a written claim for reimbursement. That's when you're going to get a huge bill, and the shock of your life.

Then, after you receive the insurance company's letter and billing, that's when you make contact with the insurance adjuster and try to negotiate their monetary claim, and a payment schedule.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hoosier101 said:
From bad to worse:(

Thanks for your help.

=====================================

My response:

You're welcome, but there's more bad news for you on the horizon.

When the State of Indiana receives a report from her insurance company that you had no insurance, you can expect to have your license suspended for up to 6 months, and a heavy duty fine.

Sorry, but driving without insurance is a real pain in the wallet.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">