• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How liable are they?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brandi McManus

My vehicle was wrecked by the owner of a local mechanic shop while in the parking lot in Kentucky where I live. Their insurance has agreed to pay to repair my car, but denies that they are liable (according to their garage keeper's policy) to replace the car or pay any deminuative value for my loss. The company is Meridian insurance. How can I get payment for this loss?
A reply would be greatly appreciated,
Brandi

ALawyer

The one liable is the garage owner who did the damage, not his insurance company. If they will pay up to $X, and that is not enough for you to get it fixed to the condition it was in at the time of the accident, or somehow you feel you are owed more (and I am not sure you have the right to get paid for "diminished value") you can sue the garage owner in Small Claims Court. But if they pay you, they will first get from you a general release and that ends the chance of further recovery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">