• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can they drag their feet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluem

What is the name of your state? PA

I was rear ended in July 2001. I suffered a brachial plexus nerve injury of both arms. I have objective medical evidence and dr reports. I consequently lost my job due to my injuries. I went to a lawyer in Feb 2002 to represent me with the other driver's insurance company. It is now April 2003. Is there a legal limit of time they can drag their feet ? We have promptly provided them with everything they requested. My family is now on welfare because we have no income.

B

bluem

Does anyone know if there is a limit ? At what point is it considered "bad faith" ?
Thank you

M

matt31

Who is dragging things out? If its your lawyer, he/she is not working in your best interest. Get another one and have the new lawyer take care of the agreement between you and the first lawyer. Thats what we had to do and everything worked fine. The insurance company as far as I know, does not have to move on any schedule except their own. These things suck. Get proof of employment from past employer showing your earnings and why you cant do your job. My familys accident has screwed us financialy as well. Good Luck!!
Matt

K

Kevin O'Keefe

[/i]
What is the name of your state? PA

I was rear ended in July 2001. I suffered a brachial plexus nerve injury of both arms. I have objective medical evidence and dr reports. I consequently lost my job due to my injuries. I went to a lawyer in Feb 2002 to represent me with the other driver's insurance company. It is now April 2003. Is there a legal limit of time they can drag their feet ? We have promptly provided them with everything they requested. My family is now on welfare because we have no income.
[/QUOTE]

It's hard to know what is happening from a far. Generally, once your medical condition has plateued your lawyer will pull all the necessary information together to support your losses, evaluate the case based on what a jury may award for fair and reasonable compensation, get authority from you on the amount to demand, send the demand to the insurer, negotiate for a period of time and then file suit if the insurer will not be reasonable. The case may then settle at anytime before trial, as most do, but a trial date can be a long time down the road, years in some areas.

Where you are in the process and how long it may be yet is something you should sit down and discuss with your lawyer. If you still have concerns you may wish to consider taling with a second lawyer. Make sure the lawyers you are speaking with are skilled plaintiff's trial lawyers and not just someone who says they do personal injury work. Only then do you know the case is going to move and that you are negotiationg from a position of strength.

- Kevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">