• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to i have to file an accident report that occurred on private property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gothitparkinlot

I live in washington state. I was in a grocery store parking lot when another drivfer backed over my vehicle. He had insurance as do I. Insurance company is only offering 50% liability. I am thinking about small claims court to get the rest of the money for needed repairs. I realize that not having filed an accident greatly impairs my ability to successfully win my case can i still file a report or am I SOL. It been over a month since the accident and the other party has not filed a report either. Do i even have a shot at winning?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't need a police report. It's obvious that the other person acknowledges there was an accident.
You won't be able to accept anything from their insurance company without signing a release stating you relieve the other person from any further liability.
Sue the bad guy in small claims court (for the full amount)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">