• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long to settle a claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gina g

What is the name of your state? new york.
my elderly mom and dad were in an accident 7-06 , not their fault. they sustained injuries. their insurance company wants to settle their claim and they dont want to accept it. they recieved a letter saying they had 10 days to accept or it will be closed. is this true? can they really close the case- just like that?
thank you!

ecmst12

Of course they can close it. Your parents' choices are to accept their offer, or hire a lawyer and file suit. The statute of limitations in NY is 3 years, I believe, so they still have time to get an attorney.

alnorth

What is the name of your state? new york.
my elderly mom and dad were in an accident 7-06 , not their fault. they sustained injuries. their insurance company wants to settle their claim and they dont want to accept it. they recieved a letter saying they had 10 days to accept or it will be closed. is this true? can they really close the case- just like that?
thank you!
The insurance company is trying to intimidate you. Sure they can close the claim, but that means nothing. All that really means is that they stop looking at the case and move on to other claims. That does not remove their financial responsibility.

They are trying to imply that if your parents dont take the deal, then they will never get a dime without actually saying it, in the hopes that they would be frightened into an early settlement. When your parents sue, the insurance company may become more motivated to reach a settlement.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">