• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gzuelan

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida
I have a couple of questions.
I live in Florida and the accident happened in FL. The person was a tourist from Texas, and they had a rental van. The rental was registered to the mom, but the son was driving. He was not registered to operate the vehicle. She also rented the vehicle and did not have insurance, supposedly it had been cancelled two weeks prior. They agreed to pay for damages but it was before we found out that the rental company would not take responsibility because the vehicle was driven by a non-registered driver, and she did not have insurance. It's been a while and we have not been able to collect for damages from neither party, (the driver or rental company).
Can I sue from here in Florida? and
How long do I have to file a lawsuit?
Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gzuelan said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida
I have a couple of questions.
I live in Florida and the accident happened in FL. The person was a tourist from Texas, and they had a rental van. The rental was registered to the mom, but the son was driving. He was not registered to operate the vehicle. She also rented the vehicle and did not have insurance, supposedly it had been cancelled two weeks prior. They agreed to pay for damages but it was before we found out that the rental company would not take responsibility because the vehicle was driven by a non-registered driver, and she did not have insurance. It's been a while and we have not been able to collect for damages from neither party, (the driver or rental company).
Can I sue from here in Florida? and
How long do I have to file a lawsuit?
Thanks.

My response:

First, tell me where your insurance is in this equation.

Also, do you have Uninsured Motorist coverage?

IAAL

G

gzuelan

My insurance for the car I was driving is just your basic coverage as required by Florida law, so I did not have uninsured motorist insurance. But I did have the other required.
I want to thank dk2, I think you answered my question as far as how long to sue.
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">