• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is too long?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tort Boy

What is the name of your state? Florida
My family was involved in an accident in 1997. My father sustained serious injuries and recieved medical treatments. He did not have health insurance at the time. My personal UM covered us for 10K, but the bills came out to be in excess of 20K. We hired a contingency attorney who has has done nothing but keep the hospital bills and liens at bay. Our case was not their priority as their strategy is to wait out the statue of limitations (SOL) instead of negotiating fair payment with the hospital.
1. Exactly how long are the SOL for the hospital to collect while our lawyers are supposedly "working" our case (in terms of years)?
2. Is it possible to get out of our contract with our lawyers since it has been 5 years since we began our case with them and they have yet to produce any results?
3. Should we sign over our 10K UM to the lawyers in what they call a "trust fund" when it makes no difference unless the case is settled?
Tort Boy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">