• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much can I get from my totattled vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alisklixer

How much can I get from my totaled vehicle

I live in Richmond, Virginia.

I was involved in an accident last week. The other driver failed to yield and hit me head on. Nobody was injured in the accident. My vehicle was declared a total loss by my insurance company. The other driver's insurance company has given me a rental car for now. When I called them, they told me that their evaluator would decide the value of the car and settle the claim. Its already a week and I haven't received any response from them. I tried calling them and they said that they would call back. I had taken a loan for the car from a bank, and I haven't yet told them about the accident. I am worried that if the insurance pays me less than the amount I owe my bank, then I would end up paying money from my pocket to payoff the loan and still be left without a car. My question is how do they calculate the value of my car and how much of that value do they give me. I had a 1998 Lexus ES 300 4 door sedan with a mileage of 100k. Please also advice where else can I get more resources for this type of situation.

Last edited:

JETX

alisklixer said:
I had a 1998 Lexus ES 300 4 door sedan with a mileage of 100k.
According to the NADA book, your vehicle (depending on other CONDITIONS, like paint, cigarette holes in seats, dents in door, etc.) 'books' at about $12,000 average retail.
If you owe more than that, hope you have 'gap insurance'.

alisklixer

Thanks

Thank you all for the instant replies. I wanted to also ask you if the insurance follows NADA or KBB prices. KBB is usually giving lesser value for the car. I would also want to find out if they would give us the total retail value or some percentage of the retail. Please let me know. Thanks Again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">