• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much info am I required to release to home owner's insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

puzzled_1

Hello,I'm in Alabama. On 5/5 I was injured when I tripped over a tent peg in my neighbors yard. The grass was tall and the peg was not visible. The neighbors were informed of the accident. I visited the emergency room, called neighbors, got insurance info and filed a claim. Today I recieved a form from their insurance company. They are asking me to sign a release form that would allow them access to bank accounts, credit reporting agencies, utility companies, present and past employees. Basically they want to be able to talk to or gain info from EVERYONE. My qeustion is, why? What does my bank balance, credit history or past employment record have to do with my injury claim? Any help would be appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Some people make claims to insurance companies for "a living". The insurance company wants to know whether or not you're employed, or whether your lack of funds could possibly be a "motivation" for the claim. Remember they weren't there to see the incident.

However, that doesn't mean they have carte blanche to your entire life. Tell them "NO". They couldn't get most of this information in litigation anyway, due to privacy laws, but they want a "free ride" by having you sign away your rights "just in case" you file a lawsuit. Don't sign a "global" medical / information Release.

They are only entitled to information, billing and medical reports from your current medical providers for this incident - that's it. Tell them you'll sign Releases that state each name of each particular health care provider you've seen for THIS incident, only.

Otherwise, if they insist on you signing the global Release form, that you'll just sue their insured.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 05-12-2001 at 05:07 AM]

P

puzzled_1

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have already signed medical release forms and had information faxed to the adjuster. If you wouldn't mind one more question. If someone tripped in my yard over a tent peg and injured themselves I would feel terribly responsible. The adjuster is of the opinion that I am responsible because I was not "watching" where I was going. The guy was a real jerk! I told him that I had been walking for 48 years and was past the point of having to focus on every step I took.

Will there be a problem with the liability issue since I fell over something that could not be seen? Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">