• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much $$ should I expect from lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AutumnAngel

What is the name of your state? Washington but accident happened in Oregon.

I was involved in an accident about 1 year ago, where my BF was driving my car and I was passenger in the front. We hit a horse where we were traveling about 55 mph. Normally, I wouldn't have gotten an attorney but since my car was totalled and I was injured I thought it was the best thing to do.

My attorney just sent me a bunch of papers yesterday that she said she sent to the horse owner and her insurance company. She said she was asking for $75,000 pain and suffering + PIP and all other medical expense reimbursement since my insurance company has been footing my medical bills since the accident. I am just wondering what amount I will actually end up with. I know she will take 1/3 of the amount but I'm just wondering what the end result will look like. I got some great pictures of the car afterward and she told me that this was one of those "oh my god" accidents where it doesn't take much convincing to the judge to tell the insurance company to pay up.

So I guess my questions are: How much $$ am I realistically looking at in the end for myself and also does Uncle Sam get a portion of this as well? Thank you for your thoughts.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Have your attorney send me a complete copy of your file, c/o FreeAdvice. Without seeing your file, I can't even begin to answer your questions. There's no information in front of me with which to respond.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

tigger22472

Don't be suprised if the insurance company asks for their money back also. They generally let you know that if you get a settlement for your accident.. they get theirs back.. so take that off the 75,000 and your lawyers 1/3.. not sure who get paid first.. and then there is your total.

OOPs.. sorry misread... are you saying the insurance will be paid plus the 75,000?

A

AutumnAngel

"Autumn is entitled to reimbursement for her pain and suffering and change to her lifestyle in the amount of $75,000 plus PIP reimbursement, plus out of pocket medicals."

Sorry IAAL, I didn't realize this answer would be on a case by case basis. I just figured there would be a generic response for my situation. I shoulda known though, it's the law I'm dealing with. *sigh*

tigger22472

I'm ignorant to the fact what PIP is....

so if I read correctly the medical they are going for is the money YOU paid out. So, I stand by my other statement unless of course that's what PIP stands for :D

i.e. My husband had a diving accident last summer... His insurance company made him sign a paper that if he were to sue the county or anyone else for damages they got their money back first.

T

theother

There was a HORSE in the middle of the highway? (I am assuming highway since you were going 55.) I'm sorry. I have no advice for you. I am just trying to get over that mental image. Poor horsie. I am so traumatized now.

tigger22472

theother said:
There was a HORSE in the middle of the highway? (I am assuming highway since you were going 55.) I'm sorry. I have no advice for you. I am just trying to get over that mental image. Poor horsie. I am so traumatized now.
Can you please stop stalking me theother? Why not get a life and stop following me on this sight.... :D :D :D

A

AutumnAngel

Yes, it was a 2 lane hiway in the boonies at midnite with no lights. PIP = Personal Injury Protection

tigger22472

Ok. so again I would check with your lawyer and ask if she/he will check that law about paying back medical bills. Don't just have her tell you it's not possible... Make sure this is a for sure thing. My husbands bills were way over 100,000$ and we didn't pursue the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">