• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to recover deductible and loss of car from other party

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chesterb

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state: New Jersey

I had a car accident today which was the fault of the other party.
I filed a claim with my insurance company and got instructions as to how to get my car repaired. However, I have to pay my deductible and since I don't have rental car coverage in my policy, I will have to pay fo a rental car myself.

As the accident was the fault of the other party, what are my options to recover my deductible and the cost of the rental car until my car is repaired?
Also, can I recover the loss in resale value to my car from the other party?

Thanks a lot!

Chris

sungod916

If it is the other party's fault, why didn't you file a claim with THEIR insurance. It seems as though they would pay for the damage if it was their fault.

I am in CA, but someone backed into me in a parking lot. I filed a claim with THEIR insurance and they determined it was HER fault and they not only paid for the damages, but also the rental car.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

Also, since it was deemed their fault... You did get a police report right? If you did, and the other party is deemed to be at "fault" their insurance should be covering the cost of the rental for you... Be aware if their carrier is Geico though...

As for the deductible, if it is the other partys fault, their insurance would reimburse you for your deductible, this usually takes a couple of months though...

If you have not received a police report, you will have to pay for a rental yourself since neither one of you knows who is at fault. An insurance co. will not pay for a rental car until they know for sure who is at fault. Once the report shows who is at fault, the insurance will reimburse you for the rental...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">