• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How should I handle rental car accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DmitMF

I had an accident while driving a rental car. My car was hit by another driver. The accident happened in the middle of nowhere, where there's no cell signal. As I was on my way to the airport, the other party and I elected to drive to the nearest police station to report the accident. I believe that the other party was in fault, though sure enough she stated that it was my fault. I have witnesses, some of whom were in my car, and others followed us in another car, however they're all my friends. So, the police did not issue any tickets and their accident report is inconclusive. One final detail - this happened in Utah and I'm in New Jersey.

So, now the rental company wants me to pay for the repairs.

Now, I rented the car with a Visa card that has auto coverage on it. So, I could just let them handle it. However, I'm afraid that will lead to points being assesed on my own car insurance, as they will probably try and push it onto them, and my premium will increase as the result.

So, how should I handle this in order to avoid points on my insurance and increase of premium? Should I have Visa pay, and then fight my insurance company if they assess points, or should I try and fight the rental company and try and convince them the accident was not my fault? If the latter is the case, can I do this in NJ or should I try and find a lawyer in Utah?

Thanks.

JETX

Considering the long distance, etc., I would just let the insurance (either yours or Visa) handle it.

DmitMF

OK, but I have a feeling my insurance will want to bump up my premium. What to do if that's true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">