• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to work with the other party's insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paymentquestion

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OKLA.
Car rear-ended by a truck in Oct., other driver states his "foot slipped off the brake", and we do not know how fast he was driving, the hit was a hard one, with injuries resulting. The person that hit us called 911, we found out later that he said there were no injuries, and we had wondered what was taking the police so long to arrive. The driver's boss showed up on the scene, he was beligerant and threatening, and came right up to the passenger side of where I was sitting in the car. My husband came over and saw and heard the guy, so he didn't want to leave me there to call the police back, we didn't know what the guy would do. The driver and his boss then left the scene, they said that we exchanged information, they don't need to stay. The driver did admit to causing the accident, and he apologized twice. We left after them, we didn't think the police were coming, we waited for over 30 minutes. I called the PD when I got to my house, they said they called that guy and asked where he was. They told me to go and file a police report. I went to the nearest station, but the lieutenant there said if the guy admitted fault, there is no need to file a report. The other party's insurance said to get treatment (I had called my doctor right after the PD), and to submit all bills to them for payment. They stated they would need a medical report from my physician after he releases me from treatment, then they send a one-time compensation for pain and suffering. I did not know that they don't pay any of the bills until after I'm released, that causes a problem as one place says they're turning it over to collection, but I'm hopeful they will wait and I have sent them the insurance info. I also did not know until too late that the insurance company should include a rental car while the damaged one is being repaired, which this company did not do. This concerns me that since they did not figure in a rental car, nor was it even mentioned, that I may have a problem getting all of this settled. They did have an adjuster come out, check the car, write an estimate, and submitted it to the company for the car repairs, and sent a check for the repair, just nothing about a rental. I do not want to have to hire an attorney, although my MD says I may have to, in order to get some necessary testing done. Now the insurance company says they want medical reports BEFORE treatment is complete, as physical therapy has had to be extended several times so far. Both PT and my physician say they do not usually ask for that until everything's over. I have paid out of pocket for the pharmacy, and physical therapy takes a lot of hours each week, I don't know how to negotiate what is fair and just for pain and suffering, time, future treatment, etc. Anyone know where I can get more information so that I can better understand this process? Really don't want to have to get an attorney, unless there's a problem with them paying the bills that they told us to submit to them. Thanks. Sorry this is long.

teflon_jones

There are a lot of things that aren't correct in your post, from what the police said to what your MD's have said. You should file this with your insurance company and have them negotiate on your behalf with the other company. It's either that or get a lawyer, but your insurance company will probably have better luck since they have a vested interest in this!

Paymentquestion

This Really Did Happen

Okla. Thank you for your reply. Yes, that was what actually happened, even though it may not sound correct, that is why I am seeking more information. I have also heard that our insurance agent should be in contact the other party's agent, but our agent (coincidentally, we both have the same major insurance company, different agents) says they don't need to get involved since the accident was the other party's fault, and when I called to ask them why the claims office would be calling me before treatment has ended, all they said was that I just need to call the claims office back. The thing with the PD, also correct. I have a friend that is a Sergeant, he referred me to the appropriate people to ask and they did say that "no officer wants to put anything in writing after the parties have left the scene". The medical, well, it is difficult finding the facilities that will take third-party billing, or wait until this is over before they get payment. My physician says I definitely need an MRI, and because of the third-party billing issues, and the cost of the test, said the facility may be more willing to perform the procedure and wait for payment if they have something from an attorney. That's why I was seeking more information on whether I should get an attorney or not. Seems like I may have to. Will check more on getting the MRI done, there has to be someone around here that will bill third-party. I'll continue searching. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">