• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hurt on Bus in accident..Have no tort can I sue ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steelnewfie

Pennsylvania-----Ok, I was involved in an accident nearly three months ago... Had just boarded a public transit bus and was walking down the isle towards the only free seat in the back... The bus had started moving immediately after I had boarded and was going approx 20 mph when a car came out in front of the bus and the driver locked the brakes, yet still hit the car.... I was the only one standing on the bus and was facing the rear when he hit the brakes... I flew into the air, went about 10 feet, and landed on my back... Hurt my back, neck, and bad contusion to lower leg.... Went to emerg 2 hrs later, and called lawyer after that.....

Here are my questions/concerns... Initially the lawyer told me I could not sue for pain and suffering because I did not have full tort insurance on my auto...so I did not pursue any further on that regard... My auto insurance is covering medical bills... However, after the public transit authority determined the person who pulled out in front of the car was liable, that person's ins co contacted me because he knew I was hurt and was inquiring about making an injury claim...

HE TOLD ME that tort did NOT apply because I was aboard a commercial vehicle..... IS THIS TRUE ???? Went back to lawyer and told him this and he said ok, well we'll assume it does not and go ahead and open a claim.... Three months later, and 25 visits to the chiropractor later, I'm nearly better.... Can I count on getting a settlement ?? I'm really confused about all this tort stuff and why my auto insurance could affect a claim on a bus....Also, could I go after the public transit people because the driver did not wait untill I got a seat, or steadied myself before taking off ?? I have witnesses.....

Any information would be greatly appreciated !!!!!

Thank you.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">