• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hurt on the job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hwhcampcookie

My son works for a contractor who pays cash. Recently Dan was hurt on the job. He was working at the home of a private individual who had hired Dan's boss to do this particular job. Dan cannot work due to this injury( his fingers were nearly amputated) The guy he was working for refuses to sign anything for Dan's mortgage company so that the disibility insuranse will start paying the house payment. He claims Dan is a subcontractor and therefore is not entitled to any compensation. This guy pays Dan by the hour, not the job. Meanwhile the bills are piling up. Does Dan have any legal grounds? Can he sue the homeowners insurance of the peoples home he was working at?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I am sure he can sue the homeowner's insurance, but he might think about suing his boss -- there are ways to determine if Dan is a subcontractor or an employee.

It sounds like he is an employee. Perhaps at least speaking with an employment law attorney in your state may help. Many offer free consultations and only collect when you collect. Try either http://www.attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">