• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband driving while drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poppysam

California
My question is will I be responsible if my husband gets in accident and injures someone? I am going to file for a legal separation and I believe that should protect me but I am not sure when a legal separation will start protecting me.

I would like to make my husband leave but I am currently keeping his keys so he won't get into any trouble. if I make him leave I have to give him his keys and I am afraid that he will hurt someone and then I will be responsible for his actions.

1.Will I be protected as soon as I file for a Legal Separation or do I have to wait for the Legal Separation to be Final.

2. how long does a Legal separation take?

any advice would be helpful

Thank you

P

poppysam

The Title of the Car is Registered only in his name.
We own a Condo together

rmet4nzkx

If it is an older car unattach then reattach without actually reconnecting the coil wire, the same to several spark plugs, either he won't be able to start the car or it will run real rough so that he will have to park it, but it won't hurt the vehicle or remove the rotor, placing it in the glove compartment he won't be able to start the car at all.

If it has electronic igniction, have a mechanic show you where the alternator, regulator or generator connect to charge the battery and where to disconnect so the car will run on the battery but not charge up, then he will drive off not noticing the red light and have to park when the car doesn't run because the battery is dead, these won't hurt the car, allow him to get away hopefully before he can drive and hurt someone.

You can try parking the car several blocks away.

Most states have laws about serving alcohol so if you know he is intoxicated you may be able to legally hold his keys / turn them into the police station, let him pick them up when he is sober and you have established the fact that you are not responsible for his driving drunk.

See an attorney so that papers, notices can be served in a timely manner.

You Are Guilty

Not that this has anything to do with the original post,but the car will run fine with no battery - the battery is only used to start the car. After that, the alternator provides all the power the car needs

Back on topic - screwing with the car to make it "undriveable" could open up the OP to some liability if hubby has an accident, especially once he finds out the car was "tampered" with.

My advice? Just go John Bobbit on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">