• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am being sued for negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devgrpp

What is the name of your state? New York

I was in an accident in Brooklyn, NY on Oct. 15 of this year. The accident happened at an intersection. I was going down a 2 way street in. Each side of the road has 2 lanes. I was in the left lane driving when an 84 yo man was coming in the opposite direction wanting to make a left turn at the intersection. Light was green and it was a nice sunny day.

As I approached the intersection a car was on my left in a turning lane attempting to make a turn. Now as I'm coming up on the intersection, the guy coming from the opposite direction just came and made a left turn right infront of me. I hit my brakes and swerved to the right and ended up hitting him on his passenger side, then I ran up onto the side walk and crashed into a park fence. I was not speeding. I was on my way to a friends house doing about 30mph when this happened. The guys car is a 69 Ford Cortina, and my car is a 99 Mitsubishi Galant. None of my airbags deployed.

So today I come home to find a letter saying I'm being sued for negligence and I should send them my policy number so they can deal directly with my insurance company.

Now as far as I can see, I was not negligent. I had the right of way since I was going straight. We both approaced the intersection at the same time, and this guy did'nt even stop to let me go by. Anyone have any advice and what to do?

These are some of the pictures from the accident
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/devgrp/IMG_0931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/devgrp/IMG_0909.jpg

justalayman

Anybody can sue (or at least attempt) to sue just about anybosy else. Doesnl;t mean they will win.

What has your insuracne company said to this? They will be required to defend you since they would be liable to pay a claim on your behalf if you lose.

What is the basis of the other guys claim concerning your negligence?

devgrpp

Well I did'nt call my insurance about this yet. The letter just came today with a copy of the police report, and my mom called me and told me about it. But it basically said that I'm being sued for negligence and I should send them my policy number and after that they would deal with my insurance company. The thing is all my information including policy number and insurance is on the police report.

justalayman

I think you should be calling the insuracne company to discuss this with them so you can tell them what you should have on Oct 15 or 16. They will assist you in how to continue from there.

devgrpp

I think you should be calling the insuracne company to discuss this with them so you can tell them what you should have on Oct 15 or 16. They will assist you in how to continue from there.
I had already called them to report the accident. I will call my local office on Monday as they are closed on the weekend, but I did speak to a 24hr customer service and they said they would have someone call me on Monday.

I

ISUE4YOU2

Who does the police report say is at fault for the accident, anf for what reason?

I

ISUE4YOU2

There is no primary collison factor or other associated factors, or opinions and conclusions, on the police report???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">