• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I crashed my friend's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chriscross327

What is the name of your state?New York

I recently crashed my friends car, and had permission by him to drive it. There is 5,000 worth of damage to the car. Who's insurance company is responsible?

rmet4nzkx

Chriscross327 said:
What is the name of your state?New York

I recently crashed my friends car, and had permission by him to drive it. There is 5,000 worth of damage to the car. Who's insurance company is responsible?
Well what has his insurance compamy said? If his company covers part of it you are responsible for the deductible and any other unreembursed expenses.

stephenk

If your friend makes the claim with his insurance company they will pay for the damage and then come after you for reimbursement. Then you can turn over that claim to your own carrier. Eventually your carrier will pay and your premiums will go up.

Lynx 36

Quote: "If your friend makes the claim with his insurance company they will pay for the damage and then come after you for reimbursement."

Not true. Insurance always follows the car. If you had permission to drive it then your friends insurance company will cover you. They will NOT seek reimbursement from you as you had permission to drive the car. I've done plenty of claims like this and as long as you weren't driving it everyday or living together you are insured by the owner of the cars insurance company.

Quote: "Then you can turn over that claim to your own carrier."

It would be denied. As I stated above, insurance follows the car not the driver. The exception to this would be a rental car. This will be in his policy.

Lynx 36

Stephenk or Happy Trails question

That doesn't surprise me. As most of us know, states can differ drastically on insurance laws. Since I'm close to Cincy I occasionally deal w/ an OH claim and they are handled way different than KY.

If I lived in CA or MN I'd be scared to borrow my friends car if this could happen.

Stephenk or Happy Trails: So if I came to your state to visit you and borrow, say your 05 Ferrari to go to the store f/ a pack of smokes and wreck it. Accident my fault. You're saying your insurer could come back and subrogate or sue me f/ the property damage as well as the collision to fix the Ferrari?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">