• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I didn't do it!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have yet another question. :)

I had called the insurance company who handles our business insurance to see what kind of deal they could give us if we insured our vehicles and home with them, as well as the business. I gave them all the necessary information.

THe next day, the agent called and needed to clarify something that had come up when he ran my license number. He asked about an accident I was in clear back in April of 2003. I told him I had not been in an accident in April of 2003. He asked if I was sure. Uhh....yeah I'm sure. Upon taking a closer look, he said that there was an accident in April of 2003, I was listed as the driver, the insurance was in my name, but the car was registered in my oldest stepdaughters name. I had never driven my stepdaughters car! He said that a claim had been submitted to my insurance company, and that money had been paid out. By this time, I was fuming mad.

I called my stepdaughter, and at first she said she had no idea what I was talking about...but then she remembered. She had been leaving school one day and hit a parked car. She left without waiting for the owner of the car, or leaving contact information on the windshield. The next day when she got to school, there was an officer waiting for her. Someone had seen her hit the parked car, knew who she was, and had given that information to the principal, who had alerted the police. She admitted to hitting the car, gave the officer her insurance information, and was allowed to go back to class.

Somehow, I am listed as the driver of her car on that police report. The insurance agent told me that this put points on my license. Where do I start in trying to fix this mess? The insurance company who handled the claim? The police department? The BMV? And also, because stepdaughter was 17 at the time of the accident, and given that the insurance policy she was covered under at that time was in my name (and also my husbands), shouldn't the insurance company have let us know that there was a claim?

I really need to get this taken care of. I don't need points on my license!

Adding something here...

Stepdaughter says that officer did not give her a citation for hitting the parked car, or leaving the scene without notifying anyone of the incident. But still, shouldn't someone have contacted her father since she was a minor?

Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem would really be appreciated. :)

Nevermind... :mad:

I just called the BMV ... decided to start there. I sure didn't like their answer, but understand how it happened.

I had taken my stepdaughter to get her license because my husband had to work. *I* was the one who co-signed for her license...therefore the points go on my license because she screwed up. :mad:

So my next question is ... how long will stay on my license? Is it the standard 3 years like most other minor violations?

Some Random Guy

It should come off at the normal rate for points against your license. You are lucky that the police officer did not cite her for anything worse. I find it hard to believe that you weren't notified because I would have expected your insurance rates to go up because of this.

Ask your insurance company for full documentation of your account, including any claims paid out, without providing them info on this accident. See what they send back.

I find it hard to believe that you weren't notified because I would have expected your insurance rates to go up because of this.
We're no longer with the same insurance company. This company has a "First accident free" policy ... where your premiums aren't affected by the first claim you file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">