• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I didn't file claim...he might.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donkort

Hi everybody. I'm in Queens, New York City.

I was recently hit from behind because I thought a car was coming out of a parking space, and I hit the breaks too quickly in attempting to avoid that car.

We decided, at the scene, not to call the police or to file claims. Now, he is demanding that I pay for HIS damage as well as mine. We both haven't filed claims as yet.

What would happen (to my insurance premium) if he would file a claim against me through my insurance company. The damage to his car was $1000.

My wife (who is on our policy) had a car totalled because of a flood condition. She also had an accident (60% her fault) in February.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

ecmst12

No, you were hit from behind because the guy behind you was following you too closely and not paying attention. It is 100% HIS fault and HE should pay for YOUR damages.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You should file a claim - you should get back your deductible so it will cost you nothing. Advise your insurance company as soon as possible.

The other driver hit you because he didn't leave enough distance. IF you felt there was an unsafe condition and slowed down and he hit you that's on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">