• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i don't know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meow4

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
So here's the deal...I recently was in a car accident by a drunk driver. My car is wrecked (but I still have 3 yrs. worth of payments on it), I sprained my wrist and have whip lash, and I've missed school, work, and cannot be in my dance recital. Should I get a lawyer? What can I get compensated for? I'm forced to use personal and vacation days from work. I don't think it's fair. What's a fair amount for lawyers to charge me? Oh and I also have a dependent... any advice from anyone will help. never been in an accident before.

meow4 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
So here's the deal...I recently was in a car accident by a drunk driver. My car is wrecked (but I still have 3 yrs. worth of payments on it), I sprained my wrist and have whip lash, and I've missed school, work, and cannot be in my dance recital. Should I get a lawyer? What can I get compensated for? I'm forced to use personal and vacation days from work. I don't think it's fair. What's a fair amount for lawyers to charge me? Oh and I also have a dependent... any advice from anyone will help. never been in an accident before.
Has the other driver's insurance paid for any of your bills? Did the other driver even have insurance?

Most personal injury lawyers will take a percentage of the settlement as payment. However, if the other driver was uninsured, there may not be anything to get - like blood from a stone.

stephenk

were you insured? If yes, did you have collision coverage? If yes, present your damage to your carrier to handle the repairs or pay you the value of the car (depends on how much your car is damages).

Are you treating with a doctor for your injuries?

You should also keep in touch with the prosecutor that is handling the DUI on the other driver. you may be entitled to restitution under the criminal victim's fund for your property damage, loss of work, medical bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">