• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was at fault in a auto accident and my insurance expired what are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eammon

Name or state: New jersey
my insurance payment was late for the first payment of the year (renewal) so i was cancelled on the day of the accident. the damage to his vehicle was 15,000 plus injuries...does he sue me for injuries also or i just have to pay for the vehicle

Last edited:

seniorjudge

eammon said:
Name or state: New jersey
my insurance payment was late for the first payment of the year (renewal) so i was cancelled on the day of the accident. the damage to his vehicle was 15,000 plus injuries...does he sue me for injuries also or i just have to pay for the vehicle
Whoever was injured can sue you for personal injuries (if there were personal injuries) and also for property damage (if there was property damage).

This is true whether you had insurance or not.

eammon

so basically im screwed...ok have you ever heard of insurance companies setting up payment plans or sumthing like that?

snostar

eammon said:
so basically im screwed...ok have you ever heard of insurance companies setting up payment plans or sumthing like that?
Yes, you are. Possibly. In case you didn't know it is also illegal to be driving and uninsured vehicle.

seniorjudge

eammon said:
Yes, I have heard of this but what does it have to do with your situation?

eammon

snostar said:
Yes, you are. Possibly. In case you didn't know it is also illegal to be driving and uninsured vehicle.
i know that my insurance payment was recieved december 19th and it was due the 17th so they cut my policy

eammon

seniorjudge said:
Yes, I have heard of this but what does it have to do with your situation?
well i mean my insurance wont cover it because my policy was cancelled the same day of the accident my payment was recieved 2 days late...it seems i will be paying for this out of pocket and im only 21 i dont come from a rich family so im in deep trouble right now if they wont take payments over a couple years at least...

eammon

seniorjudge said:
How do you know when it was received and what do you mean by "cut"?
they sent my check back saying it was recieved late and my policy was considered void...it was my renewal payment the 1st payment u make for the year of insurance i missed so it was the big one

seniorjudge

eammon said:
well i mean my insurance wont cover it because my policy was cancelled the same day of the accident my payment was recieved 2 days late...it seems i will be paying for this out of pocket and im only 21 i dont come from a rich family so im in deep trouble right now if they wont take payments over a couple years at least...
Ask the guy if he will settle and let you make payments.

I can not stress how important it is for you to have a lawyer help you do such a thing.

You will probably be without a license for awhile; keep that in mind while your lawyer is negotiating a settlement.

eammon

i wasnt given a ticket for driving uninsured

ur not from the area i imagine or i would ask u to recommend a lawyer

seniorjudge

eammon said:
i wasnt given a ticket for driving uninsured

ur not from the area i imagine or i would ask u to recommend a lawyer
You may not have gotten a ticket (yet) for driving while uninsured BUT the administrative part of this accident (that is to say, the dreaded DMV) may yet catch up with you.

Shop around for a lawyer.

But get one for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">