• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got into an accident because of slippery hill road, what do I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David99x

Ohio

I just got into an accident, do I go to court or pay the ticket fine? The ticket cost in $130 and my insurance premium will go up. If I lose all 12 I loose my licence.

I was driving my car, the road was slippery and the car in front of me slipped and stopped her car. Because she suddenly stopped I was behind her I rear endeared her. I got a ticket for ACDA (Assured Clear Distance Ahead) and the officer said it was my fault for not stopping earlier. Thing is, the road was slippery, icy and I did try to stop but the she moved and suddenly stopped which caused accident.

Considering our state has a point system, I lose 2 points of 12 and if I lose more my licensee is suspended. If I pay the $130 ticket it technically says I'm guilty...even though I didn't stand in the middle of the road and caused the accident. My car is messed up, the front is broken, the seat belts don't work, and my airbag light wont work. Her car has only a small mark on it the size of a thumb.

What am I supposed to do? Go to court say I'm not guilty and if found guilty pay the court cost and the ticket? If I pay the ticket I'm saying I'm guilty and it'll affect my insurance...

The road was downhill and icy, how was I suppose to know she would stop in the middle of the road after moving her car. She moved her car then just stopped as I was about to turn? She even said it was her fault but the police officer blamed be.

Is this something I can fight or will I just lose and pay the court fees on top of the ticket. I just hate the fact of saying I was guilty when I'm not. I did stop but because of the hill and because of her stopping right before I turned I hit her.

Last edited:

ecmst12

You got into an accident because you were going too fast for conditions and not allowing enough distance between you and the car in front of you. The accident was 100% your fault and you are guilty of the offense you were charged with. You MAY be able to get the charge reduced to something without points (or with fewer points) if you go to court and ask very nicely, but definitely not by claiming you're not guilty because there was ice on the road. Drivers are expected to be able to maintain control of their vehicle at all times and in all conditions - if you don't know how to drive safely in icy weather, STAY HOME!

Your insurance is going to go up regardless because they will be paying for the damage to the other person's car.

You also need to not drive that car until you get the seat belts and the airbag fixed.

David99x

You got into an accident because you were going too fast for conditions and not allowing enough distance between you and the car in front of you. The accident was 100% your fault and you are guilty of the offense you were charged with. You MAY be able to get the charge reduced to something without points (or with fewer points) if you go to court and ask very nicely, but definitely not by claiming you're not guilty because there was ice on the road. Drivers are expected to be able to maintain control of their vehicle at all times and in all conditions - if you don't know how to drive safely in icy weather, STAY HOME!

Your insurance is going to go up regardless because they will be paying for the damage to the other person's car.

You also need to not drive that car until you get the seat belts and the airbag fixed.
Is this whats considered "pretrial conference with the prosecutor", and if this happens will it involve fees such as court and etc.? If anything I want to avoid the points lost.

ecmst12

You will still have to pay the fine and court costs and it may end up costing you MORE than just paying the original ticket. If these are the only points on your license, it may not be worth the trouble - just be more careful in the future so this doesn't happen again and they will drop off your record eventually.

LdiJ

You will still have to pay the fine and court costs and it may end up costing you MORE than just paying the original ticket. If these are the only points on your license, it may not be worth the trouble - just be more careful in the future so this doesn't happen again and they will drop off your record eventually.
I will add something here...because this should be a lesson to you. When the roads are slick the most important thing is to drive slowly enough that you leave a ton of space between you and the driver in front of you...so much space that you cannot possibly run into them despite the road conditions. If you do otherwise, then you have to accept the risk and responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">