• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got in a stupid accident, my fault.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fcobarr

It doesn't matter if you meant to do it or not. The fact is it's your fault. If they sue you, turn it over to your insurance. They will protect you up to your policy limits. These cases usually settle before there is ever a trial.

ecmst12

Of course they can sue you and win. You hit them! It was your fault! Report it to your insurance, and cooperate with their investigation. Did you have minimum coverage? Minimum PD in our great state is only $5k, so hope there's not a lot of hidden damage under those bumper scratches, and strongly consider raising your limits for the future. But your insurance will cover any losses you are responsible for up to your policy limits, and let you know if there's a potential you will go over. Don't lie, don't complain, accidents happen, especially to inexperienced drivers. Learn a lesson - if you're going to drive with the windows open, make sure your papers are safely in your book bag. And it's better to lose your homework then get into a car accident and potentially lose your life (or someone else's)!

the animal

Oh trust me, I've learned a lesson. I have full coverage insurance from State Pharm so everything should be covered right, like every bill? I know a lot about cars, like fixing them up and stuff, I could tell, there was no underlying damage, the main damage was from the womans physical injury which makes it worse.

alnorth

Oh trust me, I've learned a lesson. I have full coverage insurance from State Pharm so everything should be covered right, like every bill? I know a lot about cars, like fixing them up and stuff, I could tell, there was no underlying damage, the main damage was from the womans physical injury which makes it worse.
Your biggest potential problem is going to be the injury.

What are your liability limits? (often called "Bodily Injury" or BI) It will be two numbers, like 15/30, 100/300, etc

the animal

Yeah, I'm hoping she turns out okay, I'm going to call the man tomorrow and see how things are. I'm not sure of exact numbers, all I know is my mom made me get the absolute best full coverage insurance that state pharm offered.

alnorth

Yeah, I'm hoping she turns out okay, I'm going to call the man tomorrow and see how things are. I'm not sure of exact numbers, all I know is my mom made me get the absolute best full coverage insurance that state pharm offered.
It should be listed on the front page of your policy, or maybe on a bill. I hope you have high liability limits, because "full coverage" usually just means that it includes comprehensive and collision for your own car damage, not necessarily that you have lots of liability coverage.

the animal

I edited my first post after some advice from a friend. My question now is, if they don't sue. How is this all going to turn out and work. Like what if the lady ends up getting physical therapy for years, is my insurance going to have to keep jacking up because she's going to keep going to doctors appointments and stuff and I will be responsible for paying that, and will my insurance cover that, if I have the right amount of liability coverage, which I'm 99% sure that I do because someone tried to sue my mom when I was a baby for like 2.5million and they dropped the case because StateFarm had a team of lawyers hired or whatever to defend my mom because she had coverage to cover her so they'd be paying the 2.5. So I'm pretty sure my mom got me the same coverage.

ecmst12

If it's his parents' insurance, it's probably decent limits, hopefully anyway :)

You should put most of your first post back. You deleted what state you are from and the facts of the accident.

You will be charged with an at fault accident. It will stay on your records for 3 years (unless that varies by state but I'm pretty sure that's standard) and you may have a surcharge on your premium for that time. After that, it drops off and your rates will go back down. This is regardless of whether the case drags on for a long period of time. Once your insurance company accepts liability, the rest of the process should be completely invisible to you unless a lawsuit is eventually filed (in which case you'll be served papers). If that happens, of course you should report it to State Farm immediately and they will defend you. Most likely though, she'll have treatment for a while, recover, and they will settle without any suit being filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">