• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I hit another car...and found out that my insurace expired days before!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmoody100

I was found at fault in a minor accident and discovered at the scene that my insurance expired about 10 days before. Because I just moved across country, no doubt my renewal notices were lost in the mail.

Obviously, my insurance company has no interest in settling a claim.

I did some damage to the other vehicle and am curious what action I can expect to be taken of me by the other driver and/or his insurance company.

I am a medical student and pretty much don't have a penny to my name besides a little student loan money. I would like to do the right thing and help repair the damages to the other driver's truck, but I won't be able to pay any unreasonable amounts. The other driver was a real $@%$% about the whole situation and will probably go for my jugular in one way or another.

What should I do and what could I expect if the other driver came after me legally, seeing that I don't have a penny to my name?

Thanks for your time and responses.

stephenk

if the other driver is insured, he may go with his own carrier to fix his truck. You will then be contacted by the carrier to reimburse them. you could set up a payment plan but you would have to agree to a stipulated judgment in the event you flake on the payments.

S

stupidme2

Oh, look at Stephenk being all nice to THIS uninsured driver. But he is correct. Same thing happened to me, and I already dealt with the other party's insurance and it's all good. If they try to sue you as a civil matter, my lawyer says you can't get blood from a turnip and that in Texas even if they put a judgement against you, they can't take your house, your cars or anything less than 60,000 dollars in personal property. So I am judgement proof he says.

Did your lawyer also tell you that in Texas your judgement is renewable and in essence will never go away? So that one day in the future when you get your act together and think you are doing all good, POOF! Your past will come back to haunt you!

stephenk

they can garnish your wages if the judgment is entered. the judgment will also be entered on your credit report.

Now all of this happens if you enter into a payment plan and then flake on the payments. the carrier will just enter the judgment and you get screwed.

for Stupid, I wasnt mean to you, I just told you what you faced since the other party is also claiming injuries. this poster only has a property damage claim and isnt denying liability. If you are fighting liability, the carrier will just give it to their attorneys and file suit against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">