• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was hit by another car w/ins but I have no insurance on my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawaiiman

What is the name of your state? California,

I was involved in an accident that I was not at fault. I was hit from behind, which totaled my car. I was sent to the hospital for obversation. One problem, my insurance had ended a week ago because I was looking for a newer and cheaper insurance. Also, I didn't know that my license had expired a few months ago because I just never really look at it an assume it would expired next year. Question, will I be able to get reimbursed for my car/medical expenses or am I out of luck. What are the consequences? thank for any help you can provide.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hawaiiman said:
What is the name of your state? California,

I was involved in an accident that I was not at fault. I was hit from behind, which totaled my car. I was sent to the hospital for obversation. One problem, my insurance had ended a week ago because I was looking for a newer and cheaper insurance. Also, I didn't know that my license had expired a few months ago because I just never really look at it an assume it would expired next year. Question, will I be able to get reimbursed for my car/medical expenses or am I out of luck. What are the consequences? thank for any help you can provide.

My response:

Well, eventually, you'll be paid for your vehicle damages, medical expenses and any other ACTUAL, and caluculable, damages. But, you won't get any General Damages (commonly referred to as "Pain & Suffering").

Remember, the key word here is "eventually". As the months go on before you get paid for everything, you'll understand why it's so important to maintain your own insurance coverages.

Now, insofar as the DMV is concerned, you'll lose your license for 6 months, and you'll be paying a $750.00 fine - - money you could have used to buy your own insurance. But, what the heck, you won't be driving anyway because you're license will be suspended - - even when your car is repaired.

IAAL

Last edited:

stephenk

you will only be reimbursed for actual damages: repair cost of vehicle, medical bills and any provable loss of earnings.

you will not be entitled to general damages (pain and suffering).

Be prepared to have your license suspended for 6 months because you had no insurance.

Why would you let your insurance expire just because you were looking for cheaper insurance? you can always cancel a policy if you find a cheaper one with another company.

H

hawaiiman

Thank you for replying, yes I was stupid in trying to save a couple of dollars and now will pay for it. The reason, I asked the question regarding if they will pay for my damages. The officer said that I may have trouble collecting the money to pay for my vechicle because I didn't have a valid license and insurance. is this really true in California. I only want my car and medical expenses (ambulance and hospital) paid. Could the other party sue me as well? thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">