• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I hit them, they were parked in my driveay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eadie12

What is the name of your state? OH
I was backing out of my driveway on a rainy night, they(the neighbors) were parked in my drive illegally, and I hit their car. They knew my insurace comany name from previous friendly conversations. They called my ins. co. and now I have to pay. Is there any thing I can do about it? Civially?:eek:

ecmst12

That's funny. You hit a parked car, you're at fault, regardless of where they were parked. You should have been watching where you were going.

eadie12

Not funny

I do not think it is funny, it was raining, it was dark and it was a small black car. It was my driveway and the last time I checked it was not a parking lot!

eadie12

Not funny

I do not think it is funny, it was raining, it was dark and it was a small black car. It was my driveway and the last time I checked it was not a parking lot! I have to back around my garage then go foreward

moburkes

You don't have to think its funny. You hit a parked car. No, they shouldn't have been in your driveway. However, the "remedy" isn't to hit the car. It is to have it towed. It being parked in your driveway without your permission doesn't absolve you from being at fault.

moburkes

Listen, OH follows the comparative negligence law. However, since the neighbor was not negligent (a parked vehicle is not negilgent), he is not at fault, even a little bit. You were 100% at fault. Period.

Under Ohio’s current comparative negligence law, parties share the cost of damages from an accident in proportion to their share of negligence. An injured driver judged to be 50% or less at fault may recover his damages minus the percent caused by his own negligence. If more than 50% negligent, there would be no recovery for losses from the other party.

racer72

Do you believe or does the law allow for their behavior?
This is totally irrelevent. You cannot legally back into illegally parked vehicles, even if they are on your property. You were in control of a moving vehicle, it is your responsibility to avoid any hazards, even if parked illegally on your property. You were at fault and are totally liable for the damages you caused. End of discusssion.

eadie12

Damn ya'll need to be nice

I would not have asked if i knew the answers, lighten up, thanks for your repies. I said I accepted resposibility to begin with. Be nice, we all aren't as savvy at the the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">