• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was involved in an accident! what should i do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SLI87

What is the name of your state? california

first post here, hoping for some advice.

roughly 1 month ago, i was involved in a head on collison with another vehicle. the other party was driving on the wrong side of the road. there is a 5 feet elevated (kinda like a sidewalk curb) median in the middle, and the other party have been on the wrong side of the road for roughly 300-400 ft before the accident (and this was during rush hour, 5pm ish on a friday). the road is a slightly curvy (it goes around a lake), with 2 lanes on each direction. according to the other party, she left a parking lot further up and was trying to head southbound, but mistakenly turn into the wrong street, and didnt realize she was going on the wrong side of the street until the accident occurred.

i was driving a lexus gs300, the other party was driving a late model honda accord. i was going roughly 30-35ish mph when the accident happened, and i assume the other party was roughly going at the similar speeds. the accident was head-on. both party had their air bags deployed and had seat belts on.

i had a passenger, the other party had 2 passengers. both me and my passenger was taken to the emergency room right after the accident via ambulence, but both released later that day. i had cuts on my forhead (from the sunglasses) and wrist (from the airbag), and trauma to my wrist, knee, and neck.

i've seen 3 different doctors so far, and just started on physical therapy. i was out of work for a little bit over a week and half, and do this day, i have to trouble making sudden movements with my neck (such as turning my head to check blind spots while driving). damage to my vehicle was orginially estimated to be roughly 20,000-22,000, but now additional damages are found, and estimate is roughly 25,000, although the shop said it will take at least another month to finish the repairs, and some more damages are expected.

the other party's insurance was orginially being cooperative, but now almost completely ignores me. it would take days before they return any phone calls, and everytime i ask any questions, they would treat me like i owe them money or something, espeically now when the bills are coming in. (towing fee, medical bills, among others) aside from the damages to the car and medical bills, i also had a pair sunglasses broken (valued at 220 dollars, and i have recipe and credit bill statement).

so the questions are, is it too late to go get a lawyer??

my vehicle was almost brand new (had roughly 5000 miles on it, and purchased less then 9 month ago), now after the accident, the value of it probably dropped a good 8 to 10 thousand. do i get reimbursed for this? or do i have to eat the loses??

if i do get a lawyer, what can i expect?? how much do i have to pay the lawyer??

thanks for help.

scott

Last edited:

lwpat

You need a good personal injury attorney immediately. Stay away from those you see on TV and billboards. Ask around and see if anyone you know can recommend someone. Initial consultations should be free so interview two or three and then make your choice. Fees vary so be sure that you have a clear understanding of the total cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">