• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I jumped!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JumpingWI

What is the name of your state? California

My friend and I went out and had some ****tails and dinner, and then left for home. On the way, we were on a very steep, curvy road. She was going to fast, lost control, spun out and then kept going! I was screaming at her to slow down and when she didn't stop after spinnig out, I opened the door and jumped out! I was freaked and we were coming up on a T at the main road - we could've hit a tree or another car. Also, she only has one working seat belt and I wasn't wearing one. It turns out she ran off the road on an embankment later and nothing happened to the car or her. I was knocked unconscious and woke up to find the ambulance there and I ran to see if she was hurt. They took us in the ambulance to the ER, and we seemed to be fine, but when I got up, I found my knee hurt. It's been a week and I'm still limping. It turns out she blew a .27, which I think is more than it should have been based on what we drank. I suspect she may have had a few before we hooked up. Anyways, my friend says that her insurance won't pay for anything because it's only liability and I was outside of the vehicle when I was injured. I'm not even sure she's reported the accident to her insurance yet. I feel partly responsible because I was drinking too - I'm usually strict about DUI, but I was drunk enough that it didn't even cross my mind that we shouldn't be driving. She says she doesn't remember most of the night from before the accident until the hospital. Should her insurance cover me at least? I just had back surgery and I can't afford another medical bill!

FlyingRon

Should her insurance cover me at least? I just had back surgery and I can't afford another medical bill!
You can try submitting a claim, you don't need her permission.
Frankly, I'm not sure insurance should cover drunks jumping out of the moving vehicles, but who knows.

ecmst12

If she only has liability, then it doesn't have any first party benefits. That means nothing for her, her property, OR her passengers.

moburkes

If she only has liability, then it doesn't have any first party benefits. That means nothing for her, her property, OR her passengers.
Since he is an unrelated passenger, third party benefits should be available. Otherwise, if OP has auto insurance with med pay, he can contact his carrier.

stephenk

you will find that policies only cover "accidents" not intentional acts. Jumping out of a moving car is an intentional act. Being thrown out of a moving car would be an accident.

tammy8

First off you are an idiot for getting in the car drunk....whether you were driving or not:rolleyes: .

Does your friend have med pay on the policy? If so you might be able to get a couple of dollars for your operation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">