• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I lied to police and ins. co. about being driver...fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rahjay27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PENNSYLVANIA.My ex girlfriend got into an auto accident last February when she lost control of my vehicle and crashed into a ramp wall coming off of an interstate. No one was hurt, as she had 3 other passengers in the car with her. She got a ride to my home two or three minutes down the road and told me what happened, and I told her and her nieces+nephew to stay at my house and not return to the scene. Problem is, it was MY minivan and I had full coverage--but I told my insurance co. that I was driving, and everyone else were the passengers. She also had no license at the time from a DUI conviction, and I knew this, but let her drive anyway.I lied to the state police as well, when they came later that night, and even though the cops did not speak to her, I coached her on what to tell my ins. co. They ended up paying for my rental and cutting me a $10,000 check for the total loss. The cops sort of suspected something was off, but all they did was give me a citation for unsafe driving--which I fought and got dismissed. Problem is, we broke up since then and she ended up reporting me to the fraud bureau in PA AND my insurance co. I don't think my insurance co. will take any action, they claimed that what I did was wrong but not illegal. But should I be worried about a fraud charge? My ex gf doesn't care, I think she's just ready to purge her conscience, but i have a state job that I will lose if they pursue this and go ahead with charges. My ins. co. said that since I had full coverage, my policy followed the car and not the driver and they would've paid out anyway. A friend of mine said once I lied to the ins. co. and the police, I committed fraud. Should I be worried--how far do you think they will go? Right now, it's just a complaint, and I have no prior criminal record except for a simple assault charge that was dismissed two years ago. PA is pretty tough on ins. fraud, but no one got hurt and my ins. co. doesn't care--can the Attorney General still pursue charges if my ins. co. doesn't really care? Also. I am still planning on sticking to my story that I was driving--everyone in the van was related to her, and I plan for it to be my word against theirs since no one outside of them witnessed the accident. Is there anyway that the fraud unit can prove otherwise? My ex gf seems to think so, but she won't clue me in. I think this case isn't that serious--people commit REAL fraud everyday, and this was a victimless crime.

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

You can be charged with filing a false police report and obstruction of justice, in addition to having your insurance drop you. Your exgf should be charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident, driving without a license, careless driving, and obstruction of justice.

Start looking for a local attorney.

JustAPal00

You can be charged with filing a false police report and obstruction of justice, in addition to having your insurance drop you. Your exgf should be charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident, driving without a license, careless driving, and obstruction of justice.

Start looking for a local attorney.
Not to mention, in PA when you drive without a license that has been suspended for DUI, you get in a lot more trouble. She's an idiot, she stands to get in a lot more trouble than you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">